Saturday, May 31, 2008

Technology : GNU Zebra routing software

I was once used this application to study networking. I was able to make ospf run on 3 machines and simulate ospf cost. This is one way you'll better understand cisco networking. It might not behave exactly the same as cisco IOS but it will surely give you an idea how networking really work in a real network setup.

It was really easy to install and to use if you already have knowledge in networking and linux. For me at first it was hard to understand how it really works because I don't have enough knowledge on networking. I only use linux networking like iptables, OpenVPN, route and other linux networking packages.

But with the help of some of my colleague i was able to understand better how it really works. This now gives me an idea to experiment more on this routing software. With better overview on cisco networking I think I can able to pull this off better that the first time. But this will need a lot of machine. But I have a solution for this, I can use VMware for linux to simulate other machines.

For more idea on this routing software here the link: http://www.zebra.org/

No comments: