Thursday, December 17, 2009

Tips and Tricks : Fedora Linux Distribution

I've been using this linux distro since I started using open source technology. I've also influenced my colleagues to us this for development purposes. Due to everything you need on developing application under open source standard is readuly available on this distro. It's like having an RedHat Linux free version.

One thing though is that out of the box it doesn't support third party packages. You'll need to stretch you technical skills to play an MP3 format music under Fedora.

Good thing that someone already complied a good How To's on this case.

Check out: http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/f9-tips.php

In the link above you'll have a step by step procedure on how will you tweak your Fedora distro.

Like the following:
# Install MP3 plug-in
# Install Macromedia Flash/Shockwave Plug-in
# Install DVD player
# Install MPlayer Media Player
# Install VLC (VideoLAN Client)
# Install RealPlayer 10 Media Player
# Install Java J2RE and Mozilla Plug-in
# Install NTFS driver
# Install Internet Explorer

Enjoy and have fun. Just a word of advise if you break something it's not my fault. I'm just giving an option. But in my experience I've never experienced breaking my Fedora installation.

No comments: